Sunday, February 12, 2012

VEAL LIVER



Offal. Innerts. Revered in Europe, neglected in North America. I'd say that a majority of the Europeans eat some sort of organ meat. The French of course, Foie Gras and all else, Italians with Tripe, Austrians love any kind of liver and so on.
Have you ever seen any offal at Sobey's or Von's? You'd have to go to an ethnic grocery store usually, to find any kind of grizzly animal parts. Do you miss out? I think so. The image is what keeps us from eating more of it. The taste would convert a few.

Growing up in Austria, I had my fair share of liver, not all are good, beef liver is too "used" I would say to it any other way than in a dumpling form inside Bouillon. Pork live, deep fried, border line in my opinion, but veal liver? A standout of flavor. Not to mention full of iron that you need.

I make mine with all sorts of added value, bacon, creme fraiche, butter, apples, a dash of spirits and sage. Don't salt until it's plated, it might toughen up on you. 
Do not cook it too long, veal liver is tender, keep it soft and wiggely. Yes I know, a strange image, but until you tried it, don't judge.

Next time: Veal sweetbreads , the growth gland of a baby cow.  


WITH ALL THE GOOD STUFF

ROAST SOME BACON

ADD THE APPLES AND SAGE

FORM A CIRCLE, MELT SOME BUTTER

ADD THE LIVER

ONE MINTURE (OR 2) EACH SIDE ON MEDIUM HIGH HEAT

A DASH OF PINEAU (YOU CAN USE COGNAC)


TAKE OUT LIVER, ADD SOME CREME FRAICHE

 SERVE HOT. TODAY WITH ROASTED POTATOS

No comments: