Friday, August 16, 2013

MUSSELS



Very much like the figs and other summer fruits were late this year, so were the mussels. Last year during the Cognac Blues festival we had them a couple of times very early July, but not so this summer. Just since last week have I seen them everywhere, at the stores and in restaurants.

We try to have them frequently during the summer, but I never attempted to make mussels at home. I know how to prepare a trout, but Austria is not really big on shellfish. It's landlocked.
There's a first for everything and today I bought a bag full at the market and thanks to You Tube, I took the Mussels 101 online. 15 minutes worth of videos made the more important points clear. Like where and what to clean and look out for when it comes to those few that are already open before you steam them in a pot. DON'T EAT THESE.

As for flavor, when we order mussels at the resto, we both usually go for the bacon cream sauce, which is easy to make. Actually, the more I think about it, all sauces are easy. Since this was my first attempt, I did not want to have to watch the boiling oil for french fries, the most standard side for mussels, but Victoria's bread made do just fine. Next time, two pots, no sweat.



EVEN MUSSELS WERE LATE THIS YEAR

LEAST ENJOYABLE PART, CLEANING

THAT'S THE PART THAT NEEDS TO BE CLEANED OFF

CREAM, &  CREME FRAICHE, GARLIC, BUTTER, BACON, DRY WHITE, PINEAU, PARSLEY, SALT

BROWN THE BACON AND GARLIC IN SOME BUTTER

TOSS IN THE MUSSELS AND ADD THE WINE & PINEAU

COVER FOR A COUPLE OF MINUTES UNTIL THEY OPEN UP

ADD THE CREAM AND CREME FRAICHE

A FEW MORE MINUTES TO REDUCE THE LIQUID

NORMALLY SERVED WITH FRIES, BUT WE WERE HAPPY WITH SOME GF BREAD

MY FAVORITE SIZE. SMALL

TOWARDS THE END, JUST ADD THE BREAD OR FRIES AND EAT IT WITH THE SAUCE

4 comments:

Nadege said...

I have never had mussels cooked this way, only the standard butter, garlic, parsley and white wine. Your recipe reminds of clams I used to eat when I vacationed on "Ile d'Yeu"; small clams with cream and a bit of curry. Delicious! (and if you have never tried the specialty of Ile d'Yeu " tarte aux pruneaux", it is amazing! I saw few You tube recipes but I am not sure how authentic they are as there are variations. Eating it on that beautiful island is just very special. If you have never been there, I recommend it. Of course, I haven't been back in 30 plus years so who knows how much it has changed).

keenast said...

Same here, only ever did the 'standard' way of preparing. BUT, i will try out your version - it looks delicious. Unfortunately 'Creme fraiche' is something very difficult to find where I live > Los Angeles :(

H.Peter said...

Instead of Creme Fraiche, you could always use a small amount of sour cream. Or leave it out completely.

H.Peter said...


I am pretty sure nothing has changed in 30 years in rural France Nadege. La France profonde.......