Thursday, June 05, 2014

THE WORLD CUP




If you ask which one, you are not a football/soccer fan.  In one week 32 teams from around the world will try to get their hands on the trophy in Brazil. 
As always, Brazil, Argentina, German and Spain are odds on favorites, but a 30 day tournament takes a lot of discipline and tactics to go all the way. Add injury, exhaustion and who knows what other factors, maybe one of the dark horses will outplay all of them.

Austria once more did not qualify, we still talk about the cup in Argentina 1978.....sad but true. I do enjoy watching the cup and it's always a bit more fun if you are rooting for a team, even if your very own nation is not playing.
I go with Germany as my favorite, maybe because they have discipline, maybe because they are closer in culture to Austria than the rest. 
My dark horse is the US team, and quite frankly, they are much better than their own citizens would ever know. It's also the team with an Austrian representation, the assistant coach is a former football star from Vienna.
For my picks to go through, they both have to beat Portugal in the same group, not to forget Ghana, one of the best African teams. An exciting month it will be for sure. I added Uruguay to my teams that does not get that many headlines. Yet. They might be able to surprise the odd favorite on a good day. 



ALL THE NATIONS VYING FOR THE TROPHY

BRAZIL IS ONE HUGE COUNTRY, LARGE DISTANCES TO TRAVEL

THE US COACHES, ANDREAS HERZOG AND JUERGEN KLINSMANN

3 comments:

Nadege said...

I am only interested in soccer when I am in France. My favorite memory of the world cup was when the Netherlands won (I had a crush on Johann Cruyff).
When I got older, I realized that sport was "big business". The Olympics are not very popular in the US, declining in the ratings more and more each time. NBC's coverage has been horrible anyway. I am sure it is more interesting to watch in Europe.

H.Peter said...


I like the high lights of the Olympics and maybe the downhill skiing.

Soccer? Oh yes, every 4 years. Trying to make up Parlay bets.

raisul islam said...

Thanks a lot for your great post.it is informative post for WORLD cup.This post give me more new information about us.i like this post. live football